Well, I definately think that coming back here was one of the best decisions I've ever made (of course, obeying God is always a good choice). I've only been here two days, but I almost feel like I never left. It's been so good to see all my friends again. I haven't had a chance to see all the kids yet, but the ones I have seen seem pretty happy to see me. The first question they ask is how long I'm staying, then if I remember their name. The little ones don't really remember me, but at least I seem familiar to them (these were the ones I worked with the most before). It was so awesome to see my favorite little boy, who when I left could not walk or talk or anything like that, even though he was 3 years old. But now he is walking fine and talking up a storm! This is the kind of thing that makes it all worth it.
As far as my work, I will be doing a lot of different things. My days will be divided up into two hour chunks mostly. I'll be assisting the accountant some, I'll be working in almost all of the houses (cleaning, cooking, watching kids, helping with homework), working some in the food store, working some for the director of children's services (helping make sure things are going well in the houses, seeing if there are any problems, etc), working in the clothes bodega (where they keep clothes for the children), helping with English, and probably other stuff as well. I'm also living in one of the houses, so I eat with them, hang out with them in the evenings, go to worship with them, etc.
Today I spent most of the day learning the accounting program here (in Spanish of course!). My Spanish is slowly coming back, but already I'm starting to think in Spanish.
My biggest challange is how to really make a difference here. I can do things to help out, do my job, but what is the reason that God sent me here, and not someone else? What specifically can I do to help the kids come to know Christ for themselves?
2 comments:
I'm so glad to hear that you are settling in well. You will have to keep us informed.
You are there because you have a willing heart and are open to the guiding of the Holy Spirit. You may never know more than that. Just continually seek His guidance, and He will work in you to will and to do according to His good pleasure (Phillipians 2:12-13).
That's something I struggle with. We may never know why God has called us somewhere. It may not seem to us like we are serving a particular purpose, but we must trust that God has a plan in mind. And we must trust that if we are following Him we are doing all that we can.
We are praying for you!
Wow - an exciting start to a new year :) And really, you may not know why He led you back to El Salvador until the year is over (or later), but I imagine He'll give you some hints along the way!
We miss you here at the Byrd Barn. Thanks for being part of our family for the summer! The new kittens are 3 weeks old now and adorable and playful, as usual.
A verse I've been finding particularly encouraging lately is Psalms 16:11. There is no better place to be then in the center of God's will (i.e. in His presence and living as a coworker with Him). It is truly so that nothing compares to knowing Jesus as our best friend. Enjoy your time there :)
Post a Comment