Sunday, August 31, 2008

5 loaves and 2 fishes

I think we've all heard the story about the little lad who gave his 5 loaves and 2 fish to Jesus and Jesus fed the large crowd. This was the topic of the sermon on Sabbath. But the preacher brought out something that I had not known. He said that it's significant that they were barley loaves. This was the type of food eaten by the poorest classes. But this little boy was willing to give Jesus all that he had, and multitudes were bless because of it. In the same way, I may not have many talents or significant ability, or lots of money, or anything else of significance. But, given wholly to Jesus, how many can be blessed! So that's my new challange, to give whatever I have, no matter how small, completely to Him and let Him do His miracle-working.

Yesterday was Sabbath, and maybe you're wondering how Sabbath goes here. Sabbath is always the hottest day, not sure why, but it always is. We meet in our gym now, which is fairly warm. Sabbath School is first - song service (we always sing hymns by the way), and some kind of introduction to the theme. Then we seperate into classes - some in the gym, some outside, different locations. Then we have the divine service. A pretty formal affair. I don't always understand the sermon, but I happen to yesterday. We usually have a different speaker each week. It resembles a more conservative church in the states. After lunch the kids can sleep or read, or whatever. But they pretty much have to stay in their houses. Yesterday we had a missioary potluck at the directors house, that was fun. Then at 5 we go to the evening meeting. It's supposedly the youth meeting, but everyone goes and usually we sit and watch a few kids do some kind of Bible activity (great emphasis is put on memnorizing scripture and knowing Bible facts here). Sometimes the band will play. One of the missionaries when I was here before taught one boy to play guitar and he taught others and they got a drum set and now they have their own group - they play praise songs and more upbeat things that most of the adults don't like :) Saturday night is usually TV watching in the houses and if it's good weather they'll play futbol in the field.

An interesting experience I had today. Sunday mornings are for working around the house. So I was helping some girls rake up grass clippings in the yard. But they kept not wanting me to work. They kept saying I'd get too tired, I was getting blisters on my hands, I would get too dark (they all want to have lighter skin),etc. I'm not really sure how to combat this idea that because I'm from the states, a "missionary", that I deserve special treatment. But it makes me sad that they see Americans/missionaries that way.

God is so good. I am so blessed to be here, and I am blessed with so many other things as well. Not the least of which is so many good friends! I miss you all...

1 comment:

laurettabear said...

It's good to hear how all is going. What is a typical week like there? You did an excellent job of explaining Sabbaths and Sunday mornings, but what about the rest of the week?

Keep us posted on all the wonderful lessons God is teaching you!