A couple of random thoughts today. First off: Mangos. I don't know how many of you like mangos, I certainly did not before I came here. But when mango season comes, you cannot get away from them, they are everywhere! It starts early, when the mangos are still very green. They are picked and peeled and sliced and covered with lemon and salt, or chile sauce. I prefer the lemon and salt version. Then comes the inbetween stage, where they are not green, but neither are they ripe yet. Oh, they are soooo delicious! Now they are all starting to get really ripe, and are falling from the trees. They make a great snack on the way to or from school. Just reach down and pick one up off the ground, or toss a stone up into the tree to knock one down. I actually don't think I've had to pick one mango for myself yet, there is almost always someone who shares with me. With mango season come some unpleasantness scenes as well. Once in a while someone will steal mangos from someone else's tree. But thankfully that rarely happens anymore. And I personally hate the smell of rotting mangos on the ground everywhere, but you get used to it. My house even took to picking mangos and selling them outside. It's so great to have this basically free food in such abundance. It's just one more way God provides for our needs (and our tastebuds!). It makes me think of heaven, and how sweet and abundant will be the fruit there!
Another random thought came to me while I was sweeping this morning. I happen to glance down at the broom handle and to my surprise, I saw several names written there. As I looked closer, I discovered that they were the names of missionaries who had lived where I live now. The past five years were all there, and I added my name for this year to make 6. Most of the names I recognized as friends, or people the kids talk about all the time. It just made me stop and think about the stream of people who have dedicated at least some part of their lives to this place. Maybe each individual one wasn't here for much time, but all together they represent a lot. Each one made a difference here, each one played their part to change lives. It's easy sometimes to begin to think that what we're doing doesn't make a difference. And it's true, most of us probably won't appear in the history books as someone who changed the world, but every little effort made combines with someone else's effort, and becomes something big and amazing. Jesus said that anyone who gave even a cup of water to someone in His name would not fail to recieve his reward. Each one does his or her part, each once consecrates themselves to God, and God blesses. It's something we may not be able to understand here on earth, but very soon we will get to see the reward of our labor, good or bad. I pray we will all do our jobs faithfully and rejoice together as we enjoy the reward of an eternity spent with Jesus.
Answered prayer: I've been doing a lot of thinking and reading about prayer lately. (I've been doing a whole lot of actual praying, too!). I keep learning new things and realizing more and more how powerful is prayer. This last week one of my prayers were answered when I finally recieved my visa documentation. I had been praying for this since September, and I finally recieved it. But God's timing is perfect and I thank Him for helping me be patient :) Also, my grandmother has been very sick recently. She had surgery and seemed to be doing better after that. But then she took a turn for the worst. Lots of people here were praying for her as well, and today I heard that she is doing much better. I have also been a bit worried about my friend in India lately. I know the situation was bad, and I hadn't heard anything for a long time. Well this morning I had an email from her and thankfully she is doing fine. I think so often I take for granted the answers to my prayers, and forget that it is actually God who did something, and not just circumstances or chance. I am still very weak in my faith, but God is helping me grow it each day. I know that He answers prayers, and I know that He cares for me and for you. If you have any kind of challenge in your life, any kind of problem, or any joy, share it with Jesus - He's listening. And be assured that He is answering and that He is doing what's best. Thank Him for what He's done, and for what He's about to do. Isn't God so good?! We have no need to fear the future, just rest in His loving arms.
No comments:
Post a Comment