Sunday, January 17, 2010

I wasn't going to write, but....

So, I wasn't going to write anything today, just wasn't in the mood. But then I read a blog post by my dear friend Andrea who has just arrived in Yap to begin a term of teaching second grade - replacing a missionary who was killed. Her job is not an easy one, but with the help of God she has risen to the challenge. She wrote a blog listing all the things she likes about Yap, and it inspired me to revisit the things that I love about El Salvador. In general as humans we tend to look more on the negative side of things, and I am so guilty of this, but here's an attempt to look on the sunny side :)

Things I love about El Salvador:
1. The precious, innocent smile of a child, that makes you forget for a moment that the world is filled with evil.

2. The marvalous feeling of watching the sun rise over the mountains and the palm trees, while the birds and roosters chirp their morning greetings.

3. Watching the bright faces, with hair freshly washed, and uniforms neatly pressed, march off to school every morning - and knowing how fortunate they are to be studying.

4. The many opportunities for star-gazing.

5. The way God's presence is so obvious in nature.

6. The sunshine

7. The way they speak English

8. The flashes of intelligence that I see every now and then, struggling to be seen through the darkness of low self-esteem.

9. The opportunities to pray with and for my kids

10. The lessons God is teaching me that I could learn nowhere else.

11. The knowledge that I am making a difference, even when it doesn't seem like it

12. Seeing the dedication of people all over the world - all focused on fulfilling God's command to care for the orphan.

13. Pupusas

14. Evening walks around the circle, talking about anything and everything

15. That amazing feeling you get when you see progress in a kid

16. Questions about what things are like in the states,and "how do you say...in English?"

17. Being able to eat coconuts and mangos right off the tree (mango season is almost here!)

18. The sweetness of knowing that I am obeying God

2 comments:

laSonya said...

beautiful friend. keep up the optimism. as we are studying in our quarterly- Joy comes from Jesus. I'm glad you are obeying God.

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to come and see it myself! We are so proud of you.mom