Sunday, November 22, 2009

Wedding on the Soccer Field





Love is in the air! Our beloved accountant (one of my bosses) and his girlfriend finally decided to tie the knot. After a lot of complications, including lost reservations at the hotel where the wedding was to take place, a simple, but beautiful ceremony took place in the soccer field last night. I should say, part one of the wedding took place, the civil ceremony. (Stay tuned for part 2 - the religious ceremony - sometime in Dec). My hands are still sore from tying balloons, and I think my skirt got some orange stains from the soup, but I think it all turned out quite nice. Oh, the menu was lazagna, veggies, garlic bread, tortilla soup, iced tea, and cake and ice cream (all homemade except the ice cream). I'm glad it ended up being held here, it gave it more of a family atmosphere, and all the kids were able to be present.

A random thought - have you ever considered what it would be like to be eighteen years old and meet your father for the first time? I guess it happens, but it's just weird. One of our boys just turned eighteen and he had to go apply for his DUI (identification card - everyone has to have one). But there was a problem with his birth certificate and so he had to go to his birth town. And there he met his father, brothers, and grandmother for the first time. Apparently it went very well and they all wanted him to stay. But he told them, "no, it's better if I go and finish school, then I can come back and help you all". I pray that all of these kids can use what they learn here and go back and help their families and fellow countrymen, not just financially, but to learn about the love of God. That is my prayer, and my purpose for being here.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Aw...that's so sweet! That sounds like a beautiful wedding. Hard to imagine meeting immediate family for the first time at 18. Glad it went well for him.

Hope you are doing well, Mandy. Praying for you!