Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Soup Kitchen

On Sabbath I got to participate in one of my favorite activities with my church - soup kitchen. It's when we arrive a little early Sabbath morning and pack up bags filled with hot soup, sandwhiches, and fruit. Then we take the bags and deliver them to people in a low-income housing group. I just love getting to interact with the people there. It may be only a few seconds (good morning, how are you, etc), but they all just seem to have such cheeful and postive attitudes, despite their circumstances.

Well, something a little out of the ordinary happened this time. At one house, the lady asked if we knew anything about cell phones. She was having trouble with hers. Fortunately, it was an easy fix, and a member of our group was able to help her. It seemed to mean a lot to her that we had stopped and taken the time to help her. I wonder if she gets many people that take time for her. But it just reminded me that the small things do matter. It doesn't necesarily take a lot of effort to help someone out, make their day a little better, to make the world a little bit better place.


"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." Matthew 10:42

No comments: