Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mission Work in America

I'm sure you've heard it before. People refering to "home missions", meaning that you are a missionary wherever you live. I guess I always knew there was a lot of need here in the states, but I never really came face to face with it. But being out of the country has really given me a new lens to look through.

My friends who invest a significant amount of time and money in ministering to some kids in downtown Chattanooga. They've even arranged for a bunch of them to go to summer camp.

My friend who is a kindergarten teacher, and puts in a amazing amout of time and effort to make sure these kids leave her classroom knowing Jesus better. And who, with her husband, readily open their home and share generously with those in need.

The lady at church who always takes time to send a card of encouragement when it's needed.

Those that feed the poor.

The people who care enough about our youth to sponsor lots of cool activities for them, and mentor them.

The parents who sacrifice so their kids can have the best.

The list could go on and on. People who have decided to overcome the obstacles and make a difference in their world. People who have decided that God's praise is much more desireable than the world's. "Ordinary" people, doing "ordinary" things. But they're changing the world. How cool is that?


P.S. 4 days until I see my kids again!

No comments: