Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Wrong Goal

I was watching a soccer game today. In soccer, there are two different goals for the two different teams. Now, making a goal is a pretty big deal. But what happens if you score in the wrong goal? It might have still taken amazing skill, but it doesn't really achieve what you want it to, does it? While doing some reading, I began thinking about what my goal for my time in El Salvador has been. Basically, my goal was to convert all the kids (and through them the rest of the country). Now, on the surface, that seems a very worthy goal - that's what we are supposed to do as Christians, right? But then I read a passage from The Ministry of Healing by Ellen G. White. On page 143, she says,

"Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Savior mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, 'Follow Me'" (emphasis mine).

Quite often, in the process of trying to "win souls", we forget about the people themselves. The goal becomes so important that we loose sight of the individual. (Well, this happens to me anyway, I don't know about you). The kids that I work with have all been used, abused, manipulated, or in some way exploited by someone in their life. No wonder they are wary about accepting Jesus. They are not used to someone caring about them simply for who they are. There always seems to be an alterior motive. That is why I think I've had the wrong goal. So, I'm changing my goal - to love. Take the love that God so freely gives me, and just pass it on. Focus more on loving them, instead of changing them. It's up to the Holy Spirit to do the hard work, the life-changing work.

1 comment:

Laura Byrd said...

Great post. This is something I struggle with too. I have been praying more and more lately that God will help me to see people as He sees them and to love them with His love.