Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gideon

Have you read the story of Gideon lately? (Found in Judges ch. 6-8) It's a pretty amazing story no matter how you look at it. I've heard sermons on this topic for the last three weeks, so let's see if I can summarize some of the main points for you. The chapter starts out with a phrase that is, unfortunately, often repeated in the book of Judges: "Once again the people of Israel did what was evil in the sight of the Lord." Like most of us, the people of Israel had a very hard time learning their lessons. This time God let them be opressed by the Midianites. The Bible says that they treated Israel very badly. But God did not abandon his people. He called a man named Gideon to help save His people.

Point #1 - God will not save the world alone, He will use people (translation: you and me) to do it. And, God can use ANYBODY. (See the beginning of Gideon's story).

So Gideon got together a bunch of men to go and fight the Midianite army. Even with all the volunteers, they were way outnumbered. Imagine Gideon's shock when God says, "You have too many men. Send those who are afraid home". There went 22,000 of his soldiers! What was he going to do? Then God told him there were still too many. They took them to a stream to drink, and those who knelt on their knees to drink were sent home. Only 300 men who had lapped up the water in their hands, remained.

Point #2 - It's not a sin to be afraid. But don't let that fear keep you from doing God's will. In fact, the fear may even be a good thing. That way you can see that it is God working, and not you.

So the 300 men go out, each holding an empy jar, a torch, and a trumpet. (No free hand for a sword...). And the Midianites flee in terror.

Point #3 - You may not always understand God's ways, but He will always give you the victory in the end if you surrender yourself to Him.

It's pretty incredible to think that God can use me to save people. It's true, I often don't understand why He calls me to do specific things I do. But I know that He sees the bigger picture, and He's just waiting for us to obey so that He can do amazing things for us. Things even bigger and better than we can even imagine. Pretty cool, huh?

FASTING

My church had a day of fasting and prayer yesterday. I had never done a fast as a church before. It was optional of course. I was surprised at how many of the kids opted to participate. We had a number of specific issues that we were praying about. Namely, our change of administration, and the projects of ICC - ours in particular, as well as the health of several people. Right after church, from about 12:30pm until 4:30pm we met together to hear testimonies and discussions on prayer and we spent some time praying. Then at 4:30 until 6:00 we had our regular worship time with the whole church. So it made for a very long day (about 8 or 9 hours in meetings), but it was good.

Something really cool happened yesterday. As the director got up to preach the sermon for church, he said with a big smile on his face, "Welcome to my oldest son. I'm so happy to see him!" I couldn't figure out what he meant until afterwards. One of our kids who was already studying at the University, decided not long ago to leave all this behind and renounce his place here and go his own way. Of course, this was devistating to his brothers and sisters and others who care about him. But he had made his choice. I don't know what changed, why he came yesterday, but it was good to see him, good to see the way he was welcomed. I didn't get a chance to really talk to him, but we have been praying for him and I trust that the Holy Spirit is working in his life. He can't undo the things he's done, but maybe he can make a new start.

Only 11 days until I go home!

No comments: