Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A week completed!

Eating pupusas, seeing old friends for the first time, walking in the evenings, singing Spanish songs, playing in the rain, making kids laugh just by looking at them, washing clothes by hand, cold, refreshing showers, seeing my little kids, all grown up, seeing God at work here - these are just a few of the things I've enjoyed during my first week back.

Even though I've been here before, I still have a lot to learn. It's kind of odd being "an adult" and still having to learn things like a little child. But, I guess that's a very Biblical concept - except as you become like little children...

And there is so much to learn from these kids! Not only about culture and Spanish, but about God and how He works. I've been thinking this week about love and freedom. People cannot be forced into love. Many times when a child (or anyone) is forced into something, love is taken away. I was told to do something this week that I was already doing, because I wanted to, out of love. But yet when I was told I had to, somehow I almost didn't want to anymore. I've been thinking that often that's how it is with us and God. If we are forced to worship Him and forced to behave in a certain manner, we cannot do so out of love. Love, by nature, needs freedom. So, how does that translate for these kids? We must have certain rules and regulations, and they need to be taught certain things, so how can we still provide that structure, and yet give them freedom to love God and each other?

The other student missionary arrived on Sunday. That makes two of us and a full-time couple. (The other SM is the brother of the full-time misisonary). So there are four of us plus the administrators. It's very different from last time when we had 18 missionaries. But I'm looking forward to the opportunity to immerse myself more fully into this place. I am sad because the kids can't get as much individual attention, but I think it's going to work out well.

Today I spent some time helping out in the food Bodega. This is where they buy food for all the houses and bring it here to partition it out (and others may buy too). We have 7 houses right now, that's a lot of food! Today we had things like broccoli and cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, onions, oranges, watermelon, beets, potatoes, cabbage, green beans, and other fresh things. At other times they get dry goods like beans, flour, salt, pasta and such. Then they get some things from our farm, like cucumbers, peppers, and cilantro. We also grow corn here. Corn is essential - used mostly in making tortillas every day, but also for tamales and a corn drink, and for eating on the cob. Also used to make the dough for pupusas :)

Oh, one more thing I was going to comment on. English. I never knew how poor my English was until I started trying to help kids with their English homework! I have no clue about past participles and gerunds and other such things that my English major friends live for. Their books are all in English, so I'm not sure how they are really supposed to learn anything if they don't know what it says in the first place. But it's been interesting. It's helping me learn Spanish better anyway! And it does give me a good chance to interact with some kids I might not get to otherwise. It's really neat how God can use every situation.

Thanks for all the comments, sorry I haven't been able to respond to them individually, but know that I am thinking of all of you, and I miss you all.

4 comments:

laurettabear said...

It's good to hear from you! We are praying for you often. I know there are many questions and challenges when it comes to kids. How do you train them up with a love for God while giving them the freedom to choose? Keep asking God that question. Search His word, and He will supply the answer. Maybe not all at once (that's usually not how He works), but step by step as you seek Him for guidance in each situation.

I look forward to hearing more about your great adventure! We miss you here. God bless you!

Jen said...

I'll help you with your English!

Alex said...

Again, it sounds like you're having a very interesting time. I'm glad you are enjoying all the kids and the food. Don't forget too much English! I'm starting to learn more and more Spanish (mostly from Spanish class, but other ways too) so we'll be able to converse when you come back =)(or when u call). Have fun!

Unknown said...

wow! you are having quite the experience, and all in one week! it's amazing! i'm so glad to hear that you are doing well and enjoying your work! that's so awesome to know God's plan for you and to follow Him, even if you feel that it's a little hazy at times. that's crazy about the english! where's katherine when you need her! ;)!
i miss you! and are praying for you.