Friday, December 25, 2009

Moses

Sunday, Dec 13, 2009

"Hey, wanna be Moses?" Not having any idea what he was talking about, I just stood dthere with one ey-brow raised, waiting for an explanation. "You be Moses and lead us slaves our of Egypt" (This particular house has been dubbed "Egypt" by the kids because of the strict discipline system and strong work ethic). I just smiled and listened to their list of supposed injuustices, but I reallyb wanted to cry out "Yes! I'll be your Moses!" Oh how I would love to hlep free them from slavery! But not physical slavery - I'm not talking about liberation from hard work or responsibility, but rather freedom from fear, freedom from depression, freedom from their past, freedom from low self-esteem, freedom from hoplessnes, freedom from violence, from darkness, freedom from sin, freedom from the devil's grasp. That is why I came to El Salvador - to introduce these kids to the One who can save them from all these things. My kids don't even understand all the things that are holding them captive, they only know that deep down inside, where nobody sees, there's an emptiness that nothing seems to fill. My job is to show them that there's only one thing in the world that can fill that spot - and that is Jesus Christ.

God used Moses to lead the Isrealites out of oppression, and He can use me too. If He can use me, I know He can use you. Will you be Moses to someone today?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Yeah!! And we have a dog Moses too. :) But I love your point with this. We all need to be Moses.